Inclusive Learning and Research
Adult education and instruction are long time passions for Spectrum’s leaders and we’re concerned to fill the gap between research and practice in our field, to best support those we care about, and the teams who support them.
We have conducted workshops and classes for mixed groups, groups of self advocates, staff teams and agencies, families, students and others in places ranging from church basement day care centres to ballrooms, from northern B.C. to Nashville, from Vancouver Island to upper New York State. We teach and facilitate groups learning about the empowerment of citizens with intellectual disabilities, interdependence, leadership, communication, instructional strategies and planning for individuals, teams and organizations.
We also regularly host great trainers who bring to Vancouver a wealth of global experience and knowledge. Dr David Pitonyak spends a week with us each year, Dr Michael Kendrick is a frequent visitor and we host his Optimal Individual Service Design course every two years in Vancouver. Other workshops we’ve hosted or co-hosted have been with Jayne Barrett from Australia, Mary Kealy from Ireland, Pat Fratengelo from upstate New York, author, master facilitator and Canadian researcher John Lord, author and business leader Michael Walsh of Kaizen Consulting and others… to find out more about upcoming events check out our blog / e-newsletter www.101friends.ca or our eventbrite site http://spectrumlearning.eventbrite.com/
Spectrum trainers are currently available to conduct the following workshops:
- An Introduction to Building Personal Support Networks
- Personal Support Networks: tools to expand and deepen your network
- Self Advocate Workshop on Personal Support Networks
- The Changing Roles of Community Support Workers
- Positive Behavioural Support in Community Context
- “Climb Every Mountain” – Dreams, Contribution and Self Advocacy
- * Vulnerabilities and Safeguards: an interdependence approach
- * How to Close a Day Program
- *PATH – one of our favourite person-centred planning processes
* currently in development
We also facilitate groups who want to gather, debrief, problem-solve or plan for various reasons. Feel free to inquire.
Workshops are currently facilitated by Shelley Nessman, Aaron Johannes and Susan Stanfield. Bios, planning material and photos are available. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org