Keeping Cool in the Summer Heat!
June 21st marks the first day of Summer!
It’s important to stay cool in the summer heat in order to avoid dehydration and overheating, which can cause heat exhaustion or heatstroke.
The following are some tips to help you stay cool this Summer.
- Stay inside or in the coolest place possible.
- Close the curtains in rooms that get a lot of sun.
- Take cool showers or baths and splash yourself several times a day with cold water, particularly your face and neck.
Drink Fluids Regularly
- Drink fluids regularly even if you’re not thirsty – – water is the best.
- Try to eat more cold food particularly salads and fruit which contain water.
Applying sun tan lotion with a minimum SPF of 30 and wearing a hat are some other great ways to protect yourself in the sun! Contact your doctor, pharmacist or HealthLink BC (811) if you are worried about your health during a heatwave, especially if you are taking medication or have any unusual symptoms.